God Doesn't Want Bench-Warmers

This past weekend was Superbowl Sunday. I was not able to watch the game. Wondering about who was winning and not really caring since neither were my team; I began to ponder on the thousands of people who attended the event. Then I thought of the thousands upon thousands who were gathered around TVs across the country. It was a unified event that people invested time and money into. All of the fans were hoping to see their team take victory. They cheered on their favorite players and met with disappointment if any of the First-Stringers were benched. Reflecting on this, I remembered when my kids were younger and played baseball and soccer. I was a FANATICAL parent. Yes, one of those crazy moms who wore jerseys with my kids team name on it, who yelled a little too loud, and got a little too involved. I made sure my kids went to practice and improved their skills. This was important to me, because I didn't want to attend a game where my kids were on the bench. I wanted the home-runs, the goals, and the touchdowns. The extra loud cheerleader moments for me happened while watching my kids score points or assist in scoring points. I would jump up and down and scream that's my Boy/Girl (depending on which one was playing)! I still went to the games and cheered on our team with excitement when my kids were injured or sick, but it was not the same as seeing my kid on the playing field.

The teachable moment God used for this N-pression was this: we are in this game called life and our team is the "Kingdom of Christ Team". Our Coach has a need for active, aggressive, willing players. Our goals, touch-downs, and home-runs equal leading others to the Lord. They are also, assisting fellow teammates to be successful in their positions in the game. God wants players who are practiced (studied in the Word); willing to play where their Coach puts them; and they do not complain when the opposition stretches the game into extra innings. Instead, even though they are tired, they stay positive and push through so they can take their team to victory.

Our Coach knows, not everyone is a pitcher, catcher, quarterback, running-back, forward, goalie, etc... that is the cool thing of being on the Kingdom Team. We all have our own gifts to play the position we are meant to play. It is through teamwork, and our Coaches masterful playbook design, that we will win the game and display trophies beyond measure.

Imagine, the thousands of thousands of fans that committed enthusiastically to the game yesterday. Imagine, all the money spent to be a part of it. Now, imagine that for Christ. Will you make your Father proud? Fulfill your position and listen for the Lord to stand up and yell, "That's My Kid!"

2 Timothy 3:16-17 For all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped (practiced) for every good work. 

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as you are doing. (Assist your teammates)

2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the Word of Truth. (Willing to Play your Position)

Philippians 2:14 Do all things without grumbling or questioning, (Stay Positive)

Matthew 25:21 Well done good and faithful servant! (That's my Kid!) You have been faithful in a few things I will put you in charge of many (be a first-stringer) Come and share your Master's Happiness (Victory and Trophys beyond measure) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In His Image

Wasps and Dragonflies

Heirloom