Give me a Taste of That

On a late Sunday afternoon, I was making some cookies with my kids and I immediately thought of a memory. It is the same memory that I'm flashed back to every time this particular ingredient is required. It is a memory that I am sure many experienced with the baker in their family when they were younger. Of course, I am talking about Cocoa Powder.


It is important to give a little history before I share the memory. When I grew up we had chocolate powders that were mixed into milk. Sometimes before the powder went into the milk we were allowed to have a spoonful of it. It was yummy chocolate powder that tasted "oh so good". The memory that I recalled is of my MeMe. She and I were in the kitchen. She was using a metal can of what I thought to be normal chocolate powder and she said that I could not have it. I looked at her with confusion on my face and probably irritation that she was separating me from that mouthful of goodness. She looked at my expression of misery and said, "I am telling you that you will not like it" (in a go ahead and see for yourself tone). A more cautious/less tempted child might have heeded her tone... not me! I was thinking "whatever" this is a can of yummy magic. I continued to scoop out my spoonful and take a big bite. As I ran to faucet to wash out my mouth while I hollered "what is wrong with this stuff" I heard her giggling. Her giggle had a tone. It was laughter that scolded me with, I told you so! She said, "I tried to warn you that this is baking cocoa and it has no sweetness". Man she wasn't kidding it was BITTER and of course I looked at chocolate powders twice from that day forward.

When my children were younger and having a baking experience with me, this same scenario played out. It was as if MeMe was standing in the kitchen with me as we both silently giggled. I'm sure my MeMe learned that I wouldn't like it because she had also at some point tasted it herself. As I was reminiscing in this very special and very cherished memory; God showed me a teachable moment.

God wants us to trust in His wisdom. He is all-knowing of the sweet and bitter things in life. Yet we think we know better and even though He warns us to be cautious or that we will not like the outcome;  we still scoop out our spoonful of whatever is tempting us in the moment. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the bitterness of our choices. Sometimes things seem to be something they are not (like a metal can that is clearly named after a popular candy bar that has no resemblance to candy at all). Our eyes and even our previous experiences can be misleading. There are many things in life that can tempt us, that can dress themselves up to be a reward. They can look like: a new job, a new relationship, a new house, etc... We must be careful, because even though they look sweet on the outside they may be holding something bitterly unforgettable on the inside.

The only way to make sure we do not end up with regret is to ask God to show us the directions we need to take. The Bible tells us; the Lord will direct our steps. Each of us, has the gift to be able to ask God to ordain our steps and order our day. God wants us to trust in His wisdom and His direction even if we think it is separating us from a sweetness we desire. Our spiritual life and walk with God is comprised with choices. Choices always lead to rewards or consequences. We have to learn to let the Holy Spirit lead us in all we do. True surrender is trusting that even when something looks wonderful on the outside; we still seek God's guidance as to whether we partake in it. After all, He knows the outcome and we do not. I personally want the fresh baked oven reward and not the bitter (get it out of my mouth) consequence.

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct thy paths. (KJV)

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.  (NIV)

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you (NIV)

Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts confidently in his own heart is a (dull, thickheaded) fool, but he who walks in (skillful and Godly) wisdom will be rescued. (AMP)

Dear God, please help us to take time to seek you and allow you to give us guidance and wisdom over the small and large things of our lives. Thank you Lord, that you show us the way we should go. Help us Lord to surrender to you in all areas. In the mighty name of Jesus, amen. 


If  you have not made that ultimate surrender and would like all the rewards that our Father offers, please pray this prayer with me: 

Lord I am sinner, I confess myself to you. I believe that you sent Your Son to die on the cross and You raised Him to life again so that I could be called your son or daughter and have eternal life in my Savior Christ my Lord. I ask that you forgive me of my sins and that you come to live in my heart and  fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I give you thanks that today I'm made new in You. In Jesus Name, Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In His Image

Wasps and Dragonflies

Love Notes From God!