Horse up Ahead

The first time I traveled towards Jess Dunn with my mom for Prison Ministry it was nearing dusk. I noticed the hill we were approaching had a large horse in the road. Since I am from Oklahoma and raised mostly country, there have been many times that I have witnessed; horses, cattle, and goats wandering out of their enclosures and hanging out on the road.

Growing up, I learned to be mindful of the disaster that can occur by an event such as, hitting livestock with a motor vehicle. So with concern, I gave my mom a warning and asked if she saw it since she was not slowing down. My dear sweet mom just started laughing. Of course, I am looking at her confused and wondering what joke I had missed. I was getting more concerned that she was not taking this situation seriously. I flat out wondered if she was losing it. As we neared the top of the hill and the perspective changed I could see that it was a statue. My very sane mother, who is still laughing, told me that the very first time she went that direction she was also tricked. Now both of us are giggling but I was a little mad that they would put such a statue in that position.

On another occasion, we were returning home, this time in daylight. I noticed the statue from the returning side and it was set very high on a frame. In the homeward bound direction of the trip, there could never be any mistaking the "horse" as anything but a statue. From one side it sat at road level because of a hill and from the other it sat several feet above the road. The horse is beautiful and I actually quite enjoy looking at it. I was thankful that it was there. The horse has in its own way become a landmark on that road.  It has also become a memory shared between me and my mom that I can't help but giggle at. On that homeward bound trip I had a teachable moment about perspective.

I thought about times in my life that I was experiencing things that felt very big. My perspective at the time was that the problem was huge and could result in impact; like hitting the horse at the top of the hill. However, in reality the problem was meant to just slow me down and help me to take notice of my surroundings. Those moments were meant for time of growth and to seek the truth of the situation I was undergoing.

The devil wants nothing more than to trick us that our problems are too big, too dangerous, or too difficult to get around. He wants to change our perspective from reality of how God sees it. If there had been a real horse in the road (the very necessary road that had to be taken to get to our destination for ministry) we would have had to use wisdom to continue on our path.  No matter how many times the devil seeks to give us the mindset that the problem is too great...we must remind ourselves and him that with our God nothing is impossible and the truth can set us free. Our eyes can be deceiving.

By knowing the promises of God and listening to the Holy Spirit we can be given the true view of what we are facing. For some of us, the things we are going through are as real and threatening as approaching a large animal at high speed in a vehicle...if we do not take proper strategies it could result in harm. We must ask for light to be shown on all the obstacles in our lives. Ask God to reveal illusions to the reality that they are. With revelation from God, you can gear up for battle or  maybe you can giggle at the thought of would be disaster. God wants us to seek Him in all situations of our lives. He wants us to have the light of His word residing in our thoughts so that what the enemy tries to hinder us with is in vain!

Psalm 119:105 (KJV) - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) - Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

John 10:10 (NIV) - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

2 Corinthians 2:11 (NIRV) We don't want Satan to outsmart us. We know how he does his evil work

Psalm 119:130 (KJV) - The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Luke 1:37 (KJV) - For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Father, help us to see the spiritual reality of the obstacles, road blocks, and storms in our lives. Lord we need you to guide us through them with wisdom and clarity. Thank you Jesus that were we seek You we will find You. Thank you that You are the Way, the Truth, and the Light. Thank you Lord for new perspective. In Jesus name, Amen!

If you have never asked the Lord to be your Savior and Master of your life; I invite you to pray this prayer:

Lord I am sinner, I confess myself to you. I believe that you sent Your Son to die on the cross and You raised Him to life again so that I could be called your son or daughter and have eternal life in my Savior Christ my Lord. I ask that you forgive me of my sins and that you come to live in my heart and  fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I give you thanks that today. I'm made new in You. In Jesus Name, Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In His Image

Heirloom